Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Friday, July 07, 2006

whew!

I feel as though my summer has only started, but one look at a calendar says it all - it's over half way done!

I haven't written in awhile, so I'll first write of my mom's visit. It was wonderful - from beginning to end. We read books and sat on the deck, drank summer drinks like lemonade and raspberry tea, went out to eat, my mom and sister-in-law SURPRISED me at Ruby's and were wonderful customers!, we went to the beach for a sunset, went on many walks, and I went through a pile that much needed some mom-attention (it included things like loan consolidation papers, next semester plans, internships, newspapers from the National Arabic Festival...). Of course all these things accompanied an abundance of stories from yours truly - a trait I sometimes regret.

Something I have realized about my mom is that try as I might to be drastically different, we think in the same rhymes. The things that frustrate me about myself, well, I can see her getting frustrated over the same. I guess it's good to know that someone can be so understanding - God surely planned that.

Well, on to our next visitors, merely days apart from each other, but just as welcome! My grandparents were here last weekend and over the 4th. I had anticipated their coming for so, so long! Despite my resentment at having to work on Saturday, God proved that He is good and I was blessed in 3 ways that night: 1. a beautiful family with two sons of the best manners I have ever seen - I made sure to compliment them and they just beamed. .. 2. a family who was wonderful and complimented me on my waitressing skills, and then we started talking and their boys actually went to a lacrosse camp at Northwestern in Evanston and my friend Chelsea was their coach! smile and 3. my grandparents came right to the restaurant from Iowa, fresh off the road and walked in to find their granddaughter positively beaming with love!

We had a most delightful time! Sunday morning we got to eat out at the Curragh, the local Irish pub (except for Sundays when Holland doesn't allow them to sell liquor) that puts on a traditional Irish breakfast every Sunday, complete with live music. The music was wonderful and our conversation great. Gramps went right to work with Sam, deconstructing some ill carpentry job in the garage, while Gram and I tended to flowers, took walks and read books. On Monday we decided to go the beach, just here and I, but we happened upon a fireworks show...so the rest of the fam came and we all enjoyed the display, which is by far the closest I've ever been to fireworks. At times I thought they would fall into my lap.

I took Gram to Windmill Island, which came highly recommended by the mum. I felt like less of a tourist, it being my second time in weeks, and wondered if the people recognized me.:) Then on Tuesday afternoon we took a newly acquired canoe and headed to a lake for fishing and relaxing.

I had to work Tuesday night, so I had to fend off the bitter bug that was creeping toward the end of my shift. The day had been so wonderful, and then, 5 minutes before I was supposed to get cut, someone sat a family in my section, which meant another 30-40 minutes. I guess I realized the real point of anger. I tried to keep up my attitude, but inside I was just mad. But what is being mad if no one knows about it? Right, I mean think of a time when you were really mad about something. But if you don't tell anyone then what's the point of being mad - no one can give you a reaction and my silent anger was never going to reach the person who sat me, so I gave up.

I, of course, relayed this to my grandparents who laughed and said much wiser things.

Skipping to the present, last night I had my first wine and cheese. Well, I guess I've had wine before, but it's never been pleasant, or tasty, or anything that I expected it to be when I thought I would someday be "one of those types who just has a glass of wine with dinner." I never thought I wouldn't actually like the taste. And, of course, to acquire the taste, you have to actually drink it often, which doesn't fit into my budget or taste. So, back to last night. I was meeting up with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile and she had wine and cheese set out .. and this was the cheese that comes in the waxy cover. Well, it was Merlot and I didn't enjoy it again, but I pretended and finished the glass she poured me with a slice of cheese.
I'm going to have to work on something that seems just as elegant without tasting so bitter.

just a list of randoms:
-I'm going to start a book list, so I can try to keep track of all the books I've read and how good they've been...don't know how soon this will happen.
-I love biking. love it. I biked about 10 miles a couple days ago and it was so great - especially by the water. but I don't think you get respect as a biker unless you have tight clothes and a helmet. My friend says I need a road bike with special pedals, but I just say it's the attire.
-Family reunion next weekend and I CAN'T HARDLY WAIT!! Of all the memories of my childhood, family reunions hit top and always bring smiles.
-The farmer's market here in Holland rivals one of my favorite things about summer. I go every Saturday and took gram and gramps on Wednesday. All the people, vendors, freshness, and the street performers - I want to see and buy everything every time... especially because blueberries and raspberries are ripe!
-I'm trying to grasp that I am a senior in college. Everyone who's been there says, "It only gets better... " With a sigh that makes me think graduation can stall for awhile.
-POLAND...It's getting closer and I'm starting to work on my English lessons. I will need so much prayer for this trip!

I guess that's all for now.

No comments: