Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Life in Honduras



This is one of the first things I posted in my classroom (well, the classroom I share with the curriculum developer, who is double-timing as 7th grade English teacher).

I found out a few days before school started that I would be in this particular classroom and because neither the English teacher nor I are full-time teaching, we didn’t have much time to dedicate to decorating. But, as I searched my brain for inspiration, I came up with this verse I first heard at CHALLENGE at Purdue University many years ago. I don’t remember much about the speaker, but I do remember she handed out a half sheet of neon green paper to each student present. Isaiah 7:9 was written in clear, bold script.

Why does this shine a light on my experiences thus far? Because, though I will never face the physical foes of the Old Testament, each day God gives me the exact amount that I can handle and the faith to accomplish it. And if we remember the stories from childhood - building on anything else is disastrous. Let me give you a few examples of what I could stand on here in Tegus:
  • my own ideas
  • selfish pride
  • my own knowledge
  • fear
  • anxiety
If your next question is, “Have you tried to stand on these?” The answer is yes to every one. And let me tell you - it takes much more energy to do something the wrong way! Just the other day, I came up with a great idea to expedite the guidance referral system, but almost before I puffed up with the idea, I found out the system was already in place.

Other such humbling experiences:
  • Today in psychology I was giving an example and I pointed to a student ... then promptly emptied my mind of anything resembling a name. I stood there for a few seconds with my hand outstretched and then I said, "Remind me of your name..." and then when he said it too softly, I just said, "uh-huh" and moved on.
  • Oh yeah, some of my students also thought I was 17
  • Having to wear the same clothes over and over again because my boxes have not arrived
  • Asking unheard of amounts of questions
So, the verse in my classroom is a reminder for me as much as anyone else. I’m just thankful the Lord gently guides and protects as I’m refined. Praise God for the things He knows that I don't!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Thanks for the Honduras updates. My wife and I taught at Pinares a few years ago, now I'm a pastor in the states. I was just surfing the internet the other day to see if I could find any updates about Pinares, and google took me to your "Adventures in Teguc" website. Keep writing...I enjoy reading about what God is doing.

Blessings...Mark