Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Futbol in Tegus

Okay, so if you're not already aware, soccer is a pretty big deal here in Latin America. Right now I'm playing once/week with the staff we can get together, but tonight I had the special treat of going into the center of the city to watch a Honduras team play Argentina at the large stadium.

It was quite a site - US fans have nothing on these characters. There was FIRE coming from a cheering section... several times and pretty big! They also shot off fireworks and burned memorabilia (right there in the stands!!).

We asked our friend Malvin how many gringas (that's us white folks) were in the stadium and then he looked at us and counted and then said, "four." So, we're trying to do culture here the way it's supposed to be done. We don't want things sugarcoated... and there was no fear of that. I was glad to not know a lot of Spanish slang, because I'm not sure what some people were yelling... and there were lots of different things flying through the air.

But, the main thing is this: I am seeing more of the city and developing a greater heart for it. If you haven't heard the Chris Tomlin song, "God of this City," then you must. My roommates and I have been in prayer about the vision God is giving for this place, for the students, and for outreach to the community. We want to be a part of those claiming this city in His name. And, getting to know the city is a great place to start.

Montagua (the Honduran team) lost tonight by one heavily contested goal, but we enjoyed every bit of it.

1 comment:

Mrs. Nichols said...

Did you know I was attended a futbol game in Brazil?? It may have even been a World Cup game- I remember being scared I wouldn't make it out of there!