Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A New Kind of Thanks


I so cherish the thanksgiving traditions of my growing up years... family gathered together from all across the countryside to celebrate the many blessings. Even if I tried to hide it in my adolescence, I loved the closeness created in the crowded room, stomachs full with Aunt Jill's infamous mashed potatoes, Aunt Shirley's stuffing, and hearts glad with conversation.

Well, this year I am enjoying a new tradition. We met last night with the staff to give thanks for the blessings of the past year. I'm still learning, but sitting down with Hondurans and listening to visions of justice and change made me think about the clash of cultures at the first "thanksgiving."

I know it's completely cliche, but I resonated a bit last night as I listened very closely to the inflections of my Honduran brothers and sisters. I continue to pray God will prepare the way for greater understanding in the language as well as the culture. Because He is moving here, where his creation is crying out for redemption.

I am so very thankful for who God is, and the more I see of His creation, the more my heart is to bring Him praise!

What are YOU thankful for today?

No comments: