Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

nobody wants to be lonely

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what it means to be included. I'm not sure if it's because I'm immersed in junior high drama, counseling around the ins and outs of friendship circles, or if it's because I'm still getting used to the idea of being a resident and not a foreigner in this land.

Either way, today I'm reminded of the song, "Nobody Wants to Be Lonely" that was popular when I was in junior high/high school, sung by Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera. (Come on - I can't help the ridiculous songs that get stuck in my head!)The song is thick with illustrations of exclusion, interwoven, of course, among heartsick expressions of "love and longing."

I'm trying to find a way to fit all these things together... to make some sense of my thoughts on the stronghold of self-pity in relation to my experiences of the necessity of human interaction.

And what I've come up with is this: the world likes it when we feel lonely, excluded, outcast, disregarded, cut down, ashamed, and worthless. I say the world, but what I really mean is the king of this world, our enemy satan. The tricky thing is the world is both the source of all these feelings and the seeming solution. Somehow, satan positions himself in a way that, though he deceives us first into feeling this way, he also manages to deceives us into thinking only he can get us out.

Am I making sense?

It's kind of like that old, old story of the two people who were deceived into thinking they could become like God. Nothing good came of their being deceived, but their first line of defense was to cover up with some flimsy leaves, thinking they could hide the feelings of shame.

It's frustrating. The world promises all sorts of things, like: thinness, self-confidence, wealth, fame, friendship, love, and satisfaction, but when it (inevitably) fails to deliver, there are endless worldly antidotes, like: therapy, diet pills, luxury vacations, divorce lawyers, ice cream, and get-rich-quick schemes.

Frustrating.

I suppose I'm no closer to understanding junior high drama, nor have I captured completely my transition. But, I do know that the schemes of our enemy satan constantly seek to frustrate my Creator's plans of redemption.

I can be frustrated - the righteous indignation kind - but I must know and believe that, though the world will fail us, God will not. And His plans will not be thwarted.

No comments: