Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

getting some perspective

"When asking God for guidance in some individual matters, it is a good thing to have as a background some inkling of the larger picture so that we see our own position in that perspective." Elisabeth Elliot

This quote out of "Slow and Certain Light" is so typical for Elliot and it is some of what makes me love her writing so much. One of my friends here said she actually heard Elisabeth Elliot speak once at her college, but she was surprised that Elliot wasn't the most approachable person. I remember reading in one of her books that her husband had to remind her to be friendly when they would have speaking engagements.

After reading several of her books, I'm not that surprised. She definitely lived no-nonsense... and there's an urgency that rises to the surface when someone is unwilling to fiddle with pleasantries and mindless chatter about the weather. I can just see her thinking, "get to the point - who knows how much time we've got?" Maybe that's a harsh exaggeration, I'm not sure, but I can appreciate and understand her advice to force our temporary, earthly eyes to see a matter in light of the greater, eternal landscape.

"Men are never duly touched and impressed with a conviction of their insignificance, until they have contrasted themselves with the majesty of God." R.C. Sproul
Going back to my literary adventure with one of my favorite novels, The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and how it got me thinking about significance. I am such a small, small piece of what God has made. If I always mentally pictured myself in contrast with the majesty of God, I can't imagine how effective I might be as a servant.

No comments: