Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Clearing out the Clutter


I've been thinking about clutter recently. You know, my "getting-rid-of-a-bunch-of-my-stuff" kick? I really felt like I was getting somewhere by moving all the things I own into the living room and separating into piles- KEEP, SAVE, and ASK A FASHIONABLE FRIEND. Unfortunately, I had to move all my great piles b/c people were coming over, so I'm afraid if I don't rope my fashionable friend into helping me sort that pile, all the stuff will make it back into the "using but don't know why" pile! My closet is much emptier already, but the tried and true system

1) Do I love it?
2) Do I need it?

Is working nicely. Now if I only had the time to finish the job... Aye aye aye. Anyway, I guess with thinking about decluttering my life, I've also been thinking about decluttering my head. With all the stuff I have going on right now, it's easy to get overwhelmed by all the things to do/ think about/ pray about/ worry about. Really easy. This morning I was praying and trying to figure out how things have gone awry, why I'm feeling less and less triumphant and more and more sick and tired. Anyway, I found a verse in my daily reading that gave me some direction.

Psalm 86:11 says...
Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
An undivided heart. That's what I need- I need to focus on Him- my relationship with him, and doing my best at everything else.

Another good verse is Psalm 111:4
He has caused his wonders to be remembered; the LORD is gracious and compassionate.
I think, when things get all busy, jumbled, and overwhelming a great way to clear out the clutter is to remember his works. What has he done that you can praise him for? How can you see His hand upon your life? For me, that's a great way to remember Who has it under control, and who's really driving this train of my life.

No comments: