Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

whose side are you on, anyway?

This morning, I spoke in chapel to 7-12 graders about the spiritual battle we find ourselves in every single day.

Today the theme was, “whose side are you on, anyway?” and it really forced me to do some thinking. To be honest, I’m not sure why I spoke today and not someone else. I know there are teachers on staff much more capable. But, last night, as we were praying in the 212 room, I felt like I needed to just be obedient and trust the rest to Him.

The previous days focused emphasized that we are "in a battle," we've been "called to fight," and we are "equipped."

Today, as I asked the question, "Whose side are you on, anyway?" I focused on these four points:
There’s no middle ground
The battle is BIGGER than you
God HAS WON the victory
You are redeemed for a purpose


I just want to share the final point with you today, as it is fresh on my mind and pressing on my heart.

redeemed for a purpose
"When Jesus redeemed sinners, he didn’t say, “Sit here and don’t sin.” NO! He said GO! and sin no more! (John 8:1-11) You are His ambassadors, as Paul writes to the Corinthians, as though Christ were making His appeal to the world THROUGH YOU. God is making His appeal through you - do you think his plan is for you to be silent? Is that why you’ve got all this armor?

What are you going to do with your redemption?

2 Timothy 2:3-4 says, "You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs—he wants to please his commanding officer."

When a soldier wakes up in the morning, he doesn't ask "what do I feel like doing?" No, a soldier doesn't meddle in civilian affairs - he is concerned only with pleasing his commander. Be ready, soldier, to endure hardships, be ready to pass on Truth and teach others. Be ready, soldier, to please your commander.
But, to please God you have to know God and what it is He requires.
Micah 6:8 says, “He has shown you, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. But to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”

If you claim to be in the Lord’s army - then your commander requires you to ACT.
do justice
love mercy
walk humbly with God.

Justice is bringing the fairness of God to the unfairness of the world.
Mercy is not getting what you deserve. We don't deserve salvation, but God has offered it freely. How can we do the same?
To walk humbly we must truly believe that we are unworthy of this relationship with an Almighty God, but honored to be enlisted in His service.

This morning, some of you know that you have not placed your faith in Christ as your Savior. You know that you are walking around without any armor, unsure of your allegiances.

Some of you may have said the words of a sinner's prayer hundreds of times, but your life bears no fruit.

Some of you have that personal relationship, but you not really sure what to do about it.

Wherever this morning finds you, know that there are only two choices - to fight for God or fall prey to Satan. Take your pick. This morning - whose side are you on, anyway?


I showed this short movie, featured on the 24-7 prayer website, shows an example of someone doing what our commander requires.

No comments: