Hello. Welcome.

I'm a very determined kind of individual. Sometimes my determination is misplaced and things get very ugly. But, sometimes my determination leads to laughter, deep thoughts, and words on paper.

I write everything. I'm not very good at filtering ... so you will see it all. Maybe there will be a little inspiration for someone else along the way. I hope so. My sister also likes to guest blog and I'm sure you will appreciate her wit and wisdom.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What I'm reading ...

Well, amidst first quarter grades and many students' persistent pining for extra credit, I've been trying to read for relaxation.

Currently, here's what's on my nightstand:


After a glorious first Dostoevsky experience (with the Idiot) I picked up his famed book "Brothers Karamazov" with big expectations. Somewhere in the middle, in one of the endless dialogues involving the feuding brothers, I got lost in the philosophical argument against the existence of God. I'm still very much intent on finishing, but in the meantime, I picked up a rather lighter choice from the school library.


I absolutely loved Robinson Crusoe. So much so that I would say it would easily be on a top 10 list. On a whim one weekend when I was home from college, I rummaged my mom's old books and found Robinson Crusoe among the treasured classics. So, after that first great experience, I also had high expectations for this short novel. I've followed David Balfour from his home in the Lowlands of Scotland to some island off the coast of England where he is now hiding with the likes of some strange character in order to escape an army of redcoats (in pursuit because David is believed to have conspired on a murder). Interesting and light.



I continue to be inspired, encouraged, and challenged by the story of these China Inland Mission missionaries who are pressing in to the Lord to find His will and way in the midst of a very confusing assignment. Kuhn's practical approach is refreshing to my own obsession with extravagant language.

Well, that's it for tonight. I just got back from a rousing game of soccer (definitely still learning!) and about to call it a night.

No comments: